Moving can be a very stressful and tiring exercise, with some pre planning this can easily be reduced; you can then enjoy the experience of moving into your new home.
Things to do
- Make sure your old household insurance is cancelled and you new house is covered
- Source packing boxes if they are not provided by the moving company
- Start packing items you don’t use often
- Clear out all your unwanted goods, these could be donated to a worthy cause.
- Start running down your freezer stock
- Agree on termination dates for services such as
- Arrange for water, electricity and other service to be connected at your new house so that when you arrive everything is connected
- Return library books or any borrowed items to friends
- Mark and list all boxes, this will assist you at your new house, boxes can be off load to the correct rooms
- Boxes that contain breakables should be marked “Fragile”
Inform others of your change of address
- Post office to redirect your mail
- Insurance companies
- Stores where you have accounts
- Hire Purchase and account Creditors
- School principal
- Publications to which you subscribe
- Your employer
- Family and Friends
- Lawyers, accountants, doctors, dentists
- Motor licensing dept
- Shares and Investment companies
- Clubs and societies
On the day of the move
- Pack a box of essentials and keep these with you – like a kettle, cool drink, some food, cups, plates, cutlery, toilet paper, candles, matches, torch, your valuables and some cash and the keys to your new house.
- Make sure that the geyser and all taps have been turned off – make a note of any reading
- Check you have not left anything behind in any of the rooms, the attic, safe, garden shed or garage.
- Close and lock all windows and doors
- Hand over your house keys
EEZI MOVE - South African leader in furniture removal, transportation services, household removal and office relocation